RumbergerKirk represents companies across various industries and the nation providing litigation and counselling services in a wide range of civil practice areas including product liability, commercial litigation, construction, real estate, intellectual property litigation, securities litigation, labor and employment law, bankruptcy, insurance coverage, professional liability and administrative law.
Battle-tested, diverse litigators are dedicated to solving complex legal issues by learning the intricacies of the case, collaborating across teams, knowing opponents and jurisdictions and partnering to develop effective strategies that help businesses meet their objectives. Our team focuses on resolving cases efficiently and effectively bringing innovative legal services to the most challenging cases.
Offices are located in Orlando, Tampa, Miami, Tallahassee and Birmingham, Alabama. Visit www.rumberger.com to learn more.显示更多 +
Bert Spence has a broad background in civil litigation, banking and financial services, and general counseling of businesses.
For more than three years (2005-2008) he served as the chief litigation counsel in the legal department of one of the top 10 banks in the U.S.
In his commercial litigation practice, Bert represents corporate clients in a wide range of litigation matters throughout Alabama state and federal courts.
- Banking and Financial Services, including consumer finance and consumer protection
- Class Actions
- Insurance Coverage and Bad Faith
- Product liability, including pharmaceutical and medical device
- Workplace exposure, toxic tort, general tort issues
Banking and Financial Services:
Beyond litigation, Bert has represented numerous lenders and special servicers regarding problem loans, with a particular emphasis on remedial issues in Commercial Mortgage-Backed Securitized lending (“CMBS”) including commercial real estate foreclosures and deed-in-lieu transactions, receiverships, loan modifications, guaranty claims and general issues concerning realization on collateral.
- Served as Deputy General Counsel for $140 billion financial services company where he managed litigation throughout the nation and internationally as head of a five-lawyer litigation team;
- Represented the country’s largest Special Servicers in CMBS problem loan remediation;
- Defended products for many of the largest national and international manufacturers in both personal injury (product-liability) and warranty claims;
- Handled commercial litigation – including class actions -- for large and small companies, including some of the largest banks and insurers in the U.S.;
- Defended one of the largest transportation companies in the world in a series of hundreds of workplace exposure cases;
- Defended leading pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers in drug and device litigation;
- Successfully represented Alabama’s Governor in a constitutional challenge to the state’s property tax system.
- Served as arbitrator, beginning in 2001, in over 40 cases, all decided with reasoned (written) opinions and selected for inclusion on the National Arbitration Forum’s Panel of Neutrals as well as the Alabama Center For Dispute Resolution’s Roster of Arbitrators;
- Wrote and worked for passage of numerous items of legislation involving Alabama’s tort laws and civil procedure, class action certifications, and healthcare laws, as well as drafting proposed amendments to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure for the country’s leading defense bar organizations to ensure fact-based pleading and proportional discovery.
As a private practitioner, Bert has tried and litigated cases throughout Alabama and surrounding states and has assisted lenders with problem loan and commercial mortgage issues throughout Alabama. As the head of a major financial services company’s in-house litigation team, he has overseen litigation and mediation/settlement activities all across the U.S. and internationally. In that role, he also supervised development of eDiscovery policies and participated in responses to governmental investigations. He is a frequent writer and speaker on legal topics.显示更多 +
Commercial Litigation and Employment Law (Corporate) in Alabama
1300 Renasant Place 2001 Park Place North Birmingham 35203