CBIZ FCG is a part of CBIZ, Inc., which is a national, public company that provides, among other services, a variety of accounting, HR, tax, financial consulting, business valuation, and litigation support consulting services. CBIZ FCG is a national forensic consulting group that consists of more than 100 dedicated professionals with extensive experience in all aspects of forensic analysis, business valuation, litigation support services, and intellectual property issues.显示更多 +
My firm and I specialize in intellectual property valuations and business strategies. I lead strategic consulting and expert testimony assignments focused on intellectual properties and intangible assets, including trademarks, copyrights, patents, publicity rights, trade secrets, brand assets and technology assets.
Strategic IP Valuation
My core expertise is valuation, profit apportionment and financial analysis. As a valuation expert, I have valued brands, patents, copyrights and business interests across a wide range of industries and for clients around the world. Often engaged to analyze unique and proprietary assets and their economic impact and contribution to financial results, I work closely with clients, counsel and fellow advisors to develop thorough yet clear and understandable analyses and strategic recommendations.
Recent valuation projects have included:
- Valuation, business models, optimal pricing and licensing opportunity evaluations for business owners, managers and Boards (case study);
- Quantified the financial impact of marketing activities, branding, celebrity endorsements and social media-based promotions;
- Development and evaluation of pricing strategies, IP monetization and brand extension opportunities (case study);
- Valuation of copyrights, patents and trademarks for tax, estate and financial planning (case study); and
- Transaction due diligence including investigation and valuation of intellectual properties and intangible assets at the heart of acquisition strategies.
I have testified in Federal, State and US Tax Courts, and in arbitration proceedings; providing opinions on patent infringement damages, trademark infringement damages, copyright infringement damages, trade secret misappropriation damages, IP valuation, business valuation, breach of contract damages, impact of online and social media endorsements, defamation damages, and reasonable compensation.
In litigation and expert witness projects, Brian has been engaged on behalf of business owners, licensors and licensees by law firms, including: Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld, Call & Jensen, Bryan Cave, Dorsey & Whitney, Garvey Schubert Barer, Greenberg Traurig, Higgs Fletcher & Mack, Latham & Watkins, Cozen O’Conner, and Ferdinand IP.
A full listing of my expert testimony experience can be found on my CV. Some of my expert opinions include:
- Economic damages and profit apportionment in patent, trademark, trade secret and copyright infringement disputes;
- Lost profits damages as a result of social media-based defamation and brand disparagement; and
- Valuation and breach of contract damages in cases involving post M&A indemnification claims, due diligence and unpaid compensation.
Education & Credentials
I am a Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA) with experience in corporate finance project management and financial analysis both in the US and overseas. I am a frequent speaker and presenter on topics including Brand Valuation, Intellectual Property Damages and Profit Apportionment. I have a bachelor’s degree in Biology and Economics from Claremont McKenna College and completed the Executive MBA program at San Diego State University. Previously, I worked in the Financial Advisory Services and Corporate Finance practices of Deloitte & Touch, the Institutional Banking Group of Westpac Banking Corporation in New Zealand, and boutique consulting firms.显示更多 +
Business & Asset Valuations in California
401 B Street | Suite 2150 San Diego CA 92101