We are a multifaceted firm with a strong track record of being highly integrated into our clients’ businesses. Known for our industry insight, entrepreneurial culture and strategic networks, we actively seek to connect our clients with the people, resources and solutions they need to succeed.
We are proud of our long history serving clients in core sectors of the business community, including in the constantly evolving technology industry, the rapidly expanding real estate sector as well as in energy and natural resources, consumer goods and services, infrastructure and construction, finance and venture capital and economic development on First Nations lands.
Tangible evidence of the work achieved by our clients and the legal support we provide is all around us—Vancouver’s skyline, transit line and airport as well as many of the companies and brands that we encounter every day. We are proud to be involved with the developments, industries and infrastructure that define our city, our province and our market.
As active and engaged members of the corporate community—our lawyers are members of business and community boards, directors of industry associations and sought-after speakers on trending topics—we are recognized as leaders in the market with strong relationships to business.
Vancouver-Based, Globally Connected
Our lawyers help Canadian companies grow their business internationally, protecting their domestic interests and ensuring that, when it is needed, they are connected with the best resources in other jurisdictions. Similarly, we regularly are called on by international companies and their foreign legal representation to assist them in successfully expanding their businesses into British Columbia and Canada. Our strong profile has earned us consistent recognition as one of Western Canada’s leading law firms.
Our clients count on us to achieve results and provide value quickly and efficiently. We have created in-house technologies and innovations that streamline processes, facilitate collaboration and communication, and support our clients in managing their business and legal projects. At times, delivering value lends itself to different forms of alternative fee arrangements and other innovative options. We welcome the opportunity to speak with clients about their needs and how we can best work together to support them in achieving their goals.Afficher plus +
Lauren Liang’s cross-cultural background allows her to assist a wide range of clients across a variety of demographics as Vancouver grows more each day into a global hub. Her cross-cultural background allows her to assist a wide range of clients across a variety of demographics as Vancouver grows more each day into a global hub.Years ago, Lauren moved to Vancouver from China, where she was born, raised and educated. Today, she is one of just a few English-fluent and native-Chinese litigators practicing within a major law firm in Vancouver.
- Obtained a worldwide Mareva Injunction of $20.5 million on behalf of a creditor in a cross-border dispute, protecting the creditor's interest in the debtor's assets in Canada.
- Successfully defended a foreign judgment that contains penalty rate that is in contravention of the criminal rate of interest under the Criminal Code of Canada and obtained an order for interest payable at 60% per annum, the maximum allowed under the Canadian law, which turned a $5 million foreign judgment into a $22 million Canadian judgment, and successfully defended the appeal of the said order, including leave to appeal to the Supreme Court of Canada. (Wei v. Mei, 2018 BCSC 157; Wei v. Mei, 2018 BCSC 1057; Wei v. Li, 2019 BCCA 114; ACIC | Canadian Update: Wei vs. Lei BCCA 114; Legaldaily)
- Conducted harassment and discrimination investigation that involve complainants whose first language is Chinese and made post-investigation recommendations for higher learning institutions.
After her first university degree in China, Lauren worked for the government of a major tourist city in mainland China. She then gained extensive business experience by owning and operating a private company in Shanghai. Given this cross-disciplinary experience between business and law, Lauren has a unique understanding of our clients’ perspectives and concerns, and how to best meet their needs.
Estate & Trust Litigation
- Represent parties in multi-jurisdictional estate litigation involving jurisdictional and choice of law dispute
- Represent parties in challenging or defending the validity of Wills > Represent parties in pursuing or defending Wills variation claims
- Represent trustees or beneficiaries in claims relating to trusts
- Represent parties in committeeship applications > Represent executors or beneficiaries in accounting proceedings
- Represent parties in probate actions
Estate Planning and Estate Administration
- Assist financial advisors with the estate planning of their high net worth clients from China
- Advise executors on estate administration and particularly administration involving multi-jurisdictional elements General Litigation and Asset Recovery
General Litigation and Asset Recovery
- Represent parties in enforcing foreign judgment or defending the enforcement of foreign judgement in Canada
- Represent parties in asset tracing, freezing injunction and recovery
- Represent parties in any contractual dispute and general litigation
Lauren takes a proactive and empathetic approach to resolving issues. She is a tenacious court advocate when litigation serves our clients' best interest, and she has successfully litigated in all levels of court, including successfully defending Supreme Court of Canada leave applications. Lauren's cases such as Wei v. Mei have been studied and analyzed in the United States, Canada and China for its precedent setting effect. In the meantime, Lauren has a deep understanding and appreciation of the emotions and stress involved in litigation. As such, when dealing with the very human issues of wills and estates, she works proactively to mitigate clients' distress while also representing them relentlessly.
With Lauren's cross-cultural background, her outstanding skillset, her expertise in jurisdictional and choice of law dispute, and her international connections, Lauren is sought out to resolve disputes involving international elements. These include cases involving competing jurisdictions of countries, potential conflicts between the laws of different countries, and enforcing or defending the enforcement of foreign judgments in Canada. Lauren is often involved in the strategic planning at the onset of a dispute to place our clients in the most advantageous position both for settlement negotiation or litigation, and work collaboratively with legal counsel from other jurisdictions. Because of Lauren's litigation, language and cross-cultural skills, she has been called upon to conduct harassment and discrimination investigation that involve complainants whose first language is not English, and make post-investigation recommendations to the institutions. In addition to her litigation practice, Lauren also assists clients with their estate planning. Her litigation perspective and experience allows her to identify potential loopholes that may open doors for future challenges and to take proactive measures to address issues at the estate planning stage to prevent possible future litigation.
Awards & Distinctions
- Corporate/Securities Law Moot Court National Competition representing University of British Columbia, 2009, 3rd place team
- Canadian Association of Gift Planners
- Canadian Bar Association, Wills and Trusts
- Professional Association of Managing Agents
- STEP Asia
- Representative of Clark Wilson LLP at State Capital Group Legal
- BC Children's Hospital Foundation, Chinese-Canadian Planned Gift Committee, Advisory Member (2012-present)
- Lawyers' Rights Watch Canada, 2001-2009, Volunteer
- U.C.C.E.S.S. Board of Directors (2018-present)
Education & Call to Bar Call to Bar
- British Columbia, 2010
- Juris Doctor, University of British Columbia, 2009
- Bachelor of Arts, University of British Columbia, 2004
- Bachelor of Arts, Sichuan Foreign Studies University, 1997
External Publications & Presentations
- Contributing Author: CLE Practice Manual: BC Probate and Estate Administration: Chapter 2 Devolution of Assets on Death
- Contributing Author: CLE Practice Manual: BC Estate Planning and Wealth Preservation: Chapter 7 Protection from Claims in Estate Planning
- Contributing Author: CLE Practice Manual: BC Strata Property Practice Manual: Chapter 10 Dispute Resolution
- Presenter: Condominium Home Owners Association of BC Seminars, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017
- Presenter: Legacies Round Table of BC Children's Hospital Foundation, 2013, 2014, 2016-2019
Trusts & Estates in Canada - West
900-885 West Georgia Street Vancouver BC V6C 3H1