Conn Maciel Carey is a boutique law firm focused on Labor & Employment, Workplace Safety, and Litigation. The clients we serve — from multi-national organizations to individuals — seek us out for strategic guidance ranging from day-to-day employment counseling to managing government regulatory investigations to leading complex litigation. What sets us apart is our special emphasis on workplace challenges, our creativity in crafting positive solutions, and our passion for serving our clients' interests.
WASHINGTON, D.C.Conn Maciel Carey PLLC5335 Wisconsin Avenue NWSuite 660 Washington, [email protected]
ATLANTA, GEORGIAConn Maciel Carey PLLC3355 Lenox RoadSuite 750 Atlanta, GA [email protected]
SAN FRANCISCO, CALIFORNIAConn Maciel Carey LLP870 Market Street,Suite 1111 San Francisco, CA [email protected]
LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIAConn Maciel Carey LLP1055 W. 7th Street, 33rd FloorLos Angeles, CA [email protected]Afficher plus +
Kara M. Maciel is a founding partner of Conn Maciel Carey and Chair of the firm’s national Labor • Employment Practice Group. She focuses her practice on representing employers in all aspects of the employment relationship.
Ms. Maciel works to create workplace solutions for her clients across all industries. She defends employers in litigation at both the federal and state levels, including matters related to ADA, FLSA, FMLA, Title VII, and affirmative action/OFCCP regulations. She advises clients regarding the protection of trade secrets and the misappropriation of confidential or proprietary information, both defending employers and pursuing enforcement against former employees. When relevant, Ms. Maciel provides advice and counsel to unionized and non-unionized workplaces regarding the employer’s rights under the National Labor Relations Act. Ms. Maciel counsels employers on how to develop lawful strategies to comply with the Affordable Care Act (ACA).
Ms. Maciel pays special attention to the issues facing companies in the hospitality (including hotel owners and managers, resorts, restaurants, spas, country clubs, golf clubs, and fitness clubs); retail; grocery; food and dairy distribution; healthcare; trade association; and non-profit sectors.
- Defended hospitality owners and operators and health care providers in lawsuits alleging discrimination from accessibility barriers by guests with disabilities under Title III of the ADA.
- Advised employers on wage and hour compliance and conducting internal wage hour audits.
- Testified before the NLRB on behalf of national trade association.
- Defended hotel chains in class actions alleging improper tip credit and tip pooling arrangements and distribution of service charges.
- Obtained default judgment against a former employee and new employer for destruction of evidence and misappropriation of company trade secrets.
- Represented management in union elections and unfair labor practice charges before the National Labor Relations Board.
- Secured defense jury verdict on behalf of restaurant in race discrimination lawsuit.
- Defended food manufacturers and distributors in claims of noncompete litigation and misappropriation of trade secret information.
- Represented fitness company in discrimination claims brought by members and employees.
- Served as chief labor negotiator for management in collective bargaining negotiations.
Ms. Maciel is a popular speaker at conferences and events across the country and writes extensively on issues related to ADA accessibility, wage hour compliance, ACA strategies, prevention of harassment and discrimination, tip credit/tip pools/service charge compliance, effective employment policies and procedures, developing a compliant employee handbook, effective strategies for labor relations, and managing a unionized workforce. Prior to founding Conn Maciel Carey, she served as Chair of the Hospitality Employment and Labor Law Outreach Practice at an Am Law 200 firm.
Ms. Maciel received a 2014 Burton Award for Legal Writing for coauthoring the article “For Employers with High Turnover and Large Numbers of Seasonal Workers, the ACA Creates Unique Compliance Issues.” Ms. Maciel was also recommended in the Labor-Management Relations category of The Legal 500 United States (2013) and selected for inclusion in Washington, DC Super Lawyers in 2014 and 2015.
Ms. Maciel lives in the Washington, DC area with her husband and two young children.Afficher plus +
Employment Law (Corporate) and Employment Law (Individuals) in Washington DC
5335 Wisconsin Avenue N.W. Suite 660 Washington District of Columbia 20015 Washington D.C.