At MJM we take great pride in giving back to the community.
MJM attorneys and staff believe in social responsibility and invest their time, skills and talents into community causes. We share a strong commitment to the provision of legal services for charitable purposes and engage in pro bono work for several associations, including the Bermuda Women’s Resource Centre, the Centre for Justice, the Legal Aid Office and the Centre Against Abuse. At MJM we feel that it is a professional responsibility to represent charitable organizations and underserved clients.
MJM has a long history of sponsorships and charitable giving. Our philanthropic activities span across a wide range of organizations that support many services.
The firm has a charitable giving policy which helps guide our philanthropic decision-making. Excerpts from the firm’s policy include:
- MJM Limited will make charitable donations on an annual basis.
- The total amount to be donated will be budgeted in April of each year and will be based on a review of the firm’s recent financial results and its forecast performance for the following year.
- Donations will be made to organizations which have “significant local presence”.
- Requests for charitable donations received throughout the year will be retained and handled by a philanthropy committee. The committee will consider the request in light of the charities’ ‘business cases’ submitted. All charities must be “properly registered”. Preference will be shown to those charities which are able to supply current financial statements.
- Preference will be given to organizations which clearly support “those who have not”.
- The firm will make an annual contribution to organizations raising money for the treatment of, and search for a cure for, any form of cancer.
- With the exception of donations to fight cancer, it is expected that our firm will vary its support for charitable donations one year to the next.