- +94 77 735 9900
Invictus Law is a modern and progressive law firm providing a comprehensive range of legal services and solutions for both domestic and international clients.
We pride ourselves in providing timely, practical & commercially sensible solutions to our clients and we specialize in multiple fields of law including corporate transactional and commercial law, investment law, real estate and property law, and employment and labour law.
The firm’s high levels of professionalism, expertise and excellence have allowed it to build a national and international client-base including public and private sector companies and traditional private clientele as well ranging from emerging businessesto multinationals.
The firm is frequently consulted by local and foreign clients in a variety of industries and businesses, including, the banking and financial sector, pharmaceuticals, information technology, and tourism and infrastructure development.
The firm’s secretarial division, through its sister company Invictus Corporate and Consultancy (Private) Limited, provides services ranging from incorporation to winding up of a company, day-today secretarial services, and other ancillary services.
Company focus and approach
As a full-service boutique law firm, we focus strongly on the needs of our clients and their respective businesses. Our client base requires swift responses, appropriate advice, and innovative legal solutions based on a full understanding of their individual business needs. The practice is built on its reputation of exceptional service delivery coupled with appropriate and outstanding skills and expertise. We believe in following a holistic approach to ensure that our clients receive the best advice at all times.Our firm is geared for efficiency and accessibility through the range of services we offer and how we interact with our clients. Through our effective network of associates, we can respond swiftly to address the needs of our clients locally and abroad.
In search of excellence for the benefit of our clients, we continually seek to find a balance between appropriate legal services and cost-efficiency. We have a keen understanding of global economic and market trends, and combined with our commitment to excellence; we have the ability to cut straight to the chase in any matter.
Show more +
Kalana leads the Corporate and Commercial departments of the firm.
He has extensive experience in the areas of corporate transactional law and commercial law, including publicprivate partnerships, investment structuring, restructuring of companies, joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions as well as litigation. His specialty lies in taking a practical commercial approach towards achieving the commercial objective of his client whilst safeguarding their interests.
Prior to joining the Firm, Kalana has served in the chambers of Mr Faiszer Musthapha (PC) and Mrs Priyanthi Pieris. During his stint with Mrs Pieris in the years 2011 and 2012 Kalana has;
- Acted on behalf of several companies (including a leading investment company facilitating Japanese investments in Sri Lanka in the purchase of shares of a Target Company owning a hotel in Wadduwa) in the purchase of shares of Target Companies and conducted the due diligence and drafted the relevant agreement.
- Provide legal advise as a member of the legal team in the implementation of the Delivery Vs Payment (DVP) System partnering with the Clifford Chance Dubai Branch in 2012 that initially formulated the framework and identifying the amendments required to the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) Act, Colombo Stock Exchange (CSE) Rules and drafted the rules for the Delivery Vs Payment (DVP) System, that was finally implemented in 2021.
- Advised a leading tea company and drafted the relevant contracts in the implementation of a Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
Subsequently, Kalana commenced his own practice in the corporate transactional sphere and has advised a wide array of clients including the follows:
- Advised a Irish investor in restructuring a company that was engaged in the development of a hotel in Negombo for the purpose of regularizing the corporate affairs of the company in compliance with the rules and regulations applicable whilst safeguarding the legal interests of the investor.
- Advised and structured the agreements, including the Shareholders Agreement (in a joint-venture company with the Government of Sri Lanka) and BOI Agreement on behalf of a consortium of foreign investors in a Public-Private Partnership in the sugar industry.
- Represented a leading European Company and the Sri Lankan Agent in an agreement to construct houses in the Northern and Eastern Provinces of Sri Lanka and drafted the relevant agreements.
- Advised and structured the agreement, and obtained the necessary regulatory approvals on behalf of a reputed Sri Lankan company in the purchase of shares in a company holding a large land bank.
- Advised and structured agreements on behalf of a Maldivian Investor in the acquisition of assets and companies including a hotel owning company in Negombo.
- Advised and structured companies on behalf of several foreign individuals and companies in setting up business in Sri Lanka.
- Represented a consortium of investors in a court in a bid to invest in a Finance Company and thereafter advised the investors in the process of investment and drafting and structuring the relevant agreements.
Kalana’s academic and professional qualifications include an LLB (Hons.) from the University of London and an LLM from the University of Sydney. Kalana was called to the Bar as an Attorney at Law of the Supreme Court of the Democratic Socialist Republic of Sri Lanka (2010).Show more +
Mergers & Acquisitions in Sri Lanka
19/3 Swarna Road, Colombo 06