MORE THAN JUST A BUSINESS LAW FIRM, WE’RE YOUR PARTNER IN BUSINESS
Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs is Northeast Ohio’s business law firm. We’ve served the Akron, Canton and Cleveland areas for over 100 years; therefore, this region has become our home and the businesses in this region have become our family. We don’t just represent you. We support you and stand by you; we understand your business and become an extension of it; we celebrate with you and cheer for you; we go to great lengths for you, and we listen to you. For all of these reasons we are more than a business law firm. We are your partner in business.We have thrived over the years because of this work ethic. Our long history in the region reflects the depth of experience our attorneys possess, not only in the practice of law, but in the industries you live and breathe every day. We know that we have to understand your business in order to protect it, a philosophy established by our founding fathers.The Buckingham, Doolittle & Burroughs partnership was founded in 1913 between Frank J. Rockwell, a former county prosecutor and future mayor of Akron, and Princeton University Graduate Charles T. Grant. An esteemed labor and employment attorney, Lisle M. Buckingham joined in 1929, and Gillum H. Doolittle, a distinguished trial lawyer, joined in 1934. Finally, Edmund Burroughs, a Harvard Law School graduate and former editor of the Harvard Law Review, joined in 1943.We have continued to add talent and evolve as times change. However, the integrity upon which our firm was built is still reflected in our people and in the services that we provide.Today we are recognized as one of the top business law firms in the region, but we are so much more than that. Find out why Buckingham is the law firm of choice for hundreds of Northeast Ohio businesses.
Show more +
As an employment and labor attorney, I provide businesses with necessary and up-to-date guidance spanning from day-to-day employee management to complex claims surrounding discrimination and harassment. When litigation is unavoidable, or a charge has already been filed with an administrative agency, I vigorously defend and guide my clients through the court or administrative process from start to finish. I also support businesses and educational institutions by handling investigations and the decision-making process for Title IX matters.
Both employment matters and Title IX claims are often urgent, sensitive and complex. Therefore I approach each case with a fair and objective mindset, and with the experience and training required to ensure each matter is handled correctly and efficiently.
Prior to joining the practice of law, I served as a general manager for a Fortune 100 telecommunications company. I believe my past experience gives me a unique and important understanding of my client’s needs. My goal is to ensure my clients feel heard, valued and a part of the decision making process when working with me.
- Counsel clients on employment issues, including personnel policies, multistate compliance, FLMA and requests for leave, discrimination and harassment, wage and hour issues, accommodation requests, restrictive covenants, including non-compete and non-solicitation agreements and employee separations and reductions in force
- Represent employers before administrative agencies including the Ohio Civil Rights Commission (OCRC), Unemployment Compensation Review Commission (UCRC), Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC )and Department of Labor (DOL)
- Handle employment and general litigation matters in state/federal court
- Advise clients on COVID-19 related guidance and decisions
- Conduct thorough, fair and impartial workplace investigations
- Conduct workforce training and development
- Serve as a Title IX Investigator and Decision Maker for school districts and universities
Education & Admissions
- The University of Akron School of Law, Akron, Ohio (J.D., magna cum laude)
- Litigation Certificate from UA Law
- B.A. from UMASS Lowell
- Northern District of Ohio
- Southern District of Ohio
Professional & Civic Involvement
- Board Member, Greenleaf Family Center
- Torchbearers Akron, Class of 2023
Presentations & Publications
- "Winter is Coming: Are you ready?" Breakfast with Buckingham, October 2022
- "Making the Call: Evaluating Request for Religious Objections to the COVID-19 Vaccine," Akron Bar Association, January 2022
- "HR Nightmares," Canton Regional SCORE, August 2021
- "Hiring Legalities and Best Practices," Canton Regional SCORE, May 2021
- The Impact of COVID-19 on Employment Issues (30 minute webinar; November 2020)
Rising Star in Ohio
3800 Embassy Parkway Suite 300 Akron Akron OH 44333-8398